Monday, August 24, 2009

It's been a week

Things are settling down. The problem with my oldest son was settled down by the next morning. Everything blew over and we are back on good standing. I am glad because I happen to like him as well as love him.

Last Thursday was the first day of school for all of the boys. The two older ones were all ready to head off. The two younger ones were not as excited. We were told last year that they could attend their original school even though we switched elementary school districts. I was assured it was a very simple process. All I had to do was register them at the new school, then request a transfer, something that is done frequently. This year the rule changed. So about two days before school, I find out that transferring them isn't an option. And have the fun job of explaining this to two change-resistant kids on the autism spectrum. They weren't happy about it, but have adapted well enough. Adam still tells me every day that he doesn't want to go to school, but he did the same thing last year. In his case, I really think trying to get out of going is just part of his morning routine. And I don't let him skip school, so I have no idea of the purpose of his protests, other than to hear himself talk.

I am hoping that business starts to pick up soon. It usually takes a week or two after school starts for my phone to start ringing to do advocacy work. It never fails that some kids are placed in an inappropriate setting for special ed, the parents get upset, call me, and I go with them to fix it. It's a great job. I love being able to help families in that way. I am also going to do my second training of the month on this Wednesday. Another all day one on special ed laws and how to write IEPs. It may sound kind of boring, but I love presenting this one. I really think that anyone who has a child or works with children with special needs should make it a priority to learn all they can about the subject.

Personally, I just want to say that I am a very happy person today. Due to scheduling conflicts and life, the guy and I haven't been able to see each other in a month. It's not as bad as it sounds. So long as I can talk to him daily, I am content. Just hearing his voice makes me smile. But I got very lucky today and got to spend face-to-face time with him. What a wonderful gift to be able to spend time together. I don't think I will ever get enough of just being near him, talking, looking at him, holding hands, taking a nap on a summer day. Ahhhh. I have never experienced such contentment.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool that you got some face to face time - I find it hard to go more than a few days without missing Miss Alaineus horribly...I can't imagine going a month...has to be hard even with phone calls

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, but he's worth it. :-) I have seriously never met anyone quite like him and wouldn't trade him for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can do a training with my staff-- we could web conference.

    tell chuck i said 'hey' and i think all the boys will settle in nicely because you do such a good job of making routines for them.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete