Monday, August 10, 2009

I guess I ought to start somewhere.

I have pretty much wasted the day today. I don't do that often. But I spent the day napping, chatting with friends, napping some more. When the kids aren't here, I always seem to become temporarily nocturnal. And then I nap on the last day. Today was the nap day.

I woke up at a reasonable hour, made some coffee, and decided breakfast would be a good idea. That was kind of surprising given I hadn't went to sleep until sometime after four. So, after breakfast....nap time! Ahhhhh. I love naps. Then the phone rang. It was my guy, so I was happy to take the call. We spent a while catching up since yesterday and talked about his upcoming visit in a couple of weeks. (Just a side note...he lives the next state up, we both have lives, and we normally get together more than once a month. It's just been one of those really busy months for both of us.) After our call, I laid in bed, contemplating what I was going to do today. Then I rolled back over and went back to sleep. Ahhhhh. Naps!

The phone rang 3 more times. Twice were my mom, which I didn't answer. I figured I'd just call her back when I finally decided to wake up for the day. The other was from a friend in another state. I talked to her for a while and decided to meander out of my room and in search of more coffee.

I grab my mug of coffee and head to the computer to check assorted must-read sites. And feel a little tired, despite the fully-caffeinated coffee. So I walk over to the couch, grab a couple of throw pillows, lay down, and fall fast asleep. Again. At this point, even I am aware of how ridiculous this is. A nap is one thing. But how many naps does one person really need in a day? I can't even say "Ahhhhhhh. Naps!" this time. Because I somehow fell asleep with my left arm tucked under my body at some awkward angle and now it hurts and I can't move it for a while. Damn! Freaking naps!!!

I walk back to the kitchen, get another cup of coffee using my functional right arm, and plan to stay awake this time. I listen to the silence. This only happens about every other weekend and for 4 hours on Wednesday. Part of me wants to turn on the TV or put on some music, but I am just really liking the silence. When the boys aren't here, I can go the whole time without ever turning on the TV. I don't miss it. I drink my coffee and think about the kids, then my guy.

I go back upstairs, take a shower, go to my room. Check my computer up here to see if anything interesting has happened during my nap time. Not really. I look over and my bed beckons. Ugh!!! I. Will. Not. Lay. Down. So, I lay down. Just to think and cool off before I get dressed. I like having time to think. To ponder. Plan. Imagine. So I lay there and just think, letting my mind wander. And....I fall asleep. lol. Not for long. I think that I have hit my nap limit for the day. Finally.

I did manage to get up, straighten up the house, actually talk to people, call my mom back, normal stuff. I made dinner. Or, let me rephrase that, I microwaved dinner. Fed the cats. Never did turn on the TV. Came back upstairs to my room and did not fall asleep. I talked to a client about a meeting tomorrow. Have plans all set for the week, including working and registering 4 kids for school. It will be one busy week. So maybe I just knew this and that's why I spent the day napping. Or at least that's my excuse. Once in a while, I think we all could use a day of napping.

2 comments:

  1. i am the last person in the world that would ever protest a nap.....

    and it has been so freakin hot it's like siesta is the only thing to do between 12 and 5.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE naps too! The fact that you slept as much as you did probably means that your body, mind and soul needed it. I hope that it was enough to get you through all the transitions coming your way this school year.

    ReplyDelete